The father of the 12-year-old girl who died in a serious accident on Monday night said that they are not letting him see her because he would not be able to bear it. The child was traveling with her grandparents on the Pleven - Lukovit road when a truck swept away their car.
Nikolai Popov told Nova TV that it has been known for years how dangerous this section of road is, where his child died. Various signals have been sent over the years. Despite this, another tragedy has already happened.
For 12-year-old Siyana, this vacation turns out to be the last. Her grandfather was seriously injured in the accident, who is in danger of his life. The girl's grandmother is not seriously injured. The driver of the truck that swept their car away was detained for 72 hours.
Hours after the tragedy, the father of the deceased child requested urgent measures for this section, which is in poor condition. In recent months, the “Traffic Police” - Pleven has also issued such signals. According to the Road Agency, however, there are no defects on the pavement. Siyana is another child who will remain a child forever.
“The family's life turned upside down in seconds. My child was killed by the negligence of the state. These are the facts. The car in which Siyana was riding was crushed. It was driven by her grandfather,” said the distraught parent. “Siyana's grandfather is a firefighter. Ironically, he is a rescuer who saves dozens of lives on this very road. He was driving legally, under the speed limit, very careful, he was even wearing a uniform during the accident. He is currently in a coma with a traumatic brain injury and it is not known whether he will survive. If he survives, I don't know how he will survive the death of his granddaughter, whom he raised," Nikolay Popov also said.
The collision between the car and the heavy truck occurred on the road between the villages of Telish and Radomirtsi. This is one of many sections for which there are signals from institutions and organizations.
„The driver is probably also at fault. This 65-year-old man certainly did not set out to kill my child. Unlike others, I do not want anyone to go to prison. Let there be justice, but the biggest problem here is the condition of the roads. There are dozens of signals and the state is doing nothing. I call on the prosecutor's office to take action. "I want the entire board of the RIA to resign," said the victim's father.
The "Road Infrastructure" Agency denied that there was a problem with the condition of the road section where the accident occurred. They described it as good - no potholes, no defects in the asphalt and with markings. They also added that in the fall of last year they carried out current repairs, and in April a new one was due. Although the road is in good condition, it still needed major repairs, the Agency added.
At the same time, however, the Ministry of Interior - Pleven said that they had also filed reports for this road - in November, and then in December. Now a third report was pending. In 5 years, 34 accidents have occurred on this section, 10 people were injured, and three died. Siyana is among them.
Since we don't have roads, at least some basic measures can be taken to save people's lives. I don't want to sue anyone because no one can bring my child back. I feel extremely powerless because I can't bring my child back, but I have gathered strength and courage, even though it's very hard for me, so that this doesn't happen again and that more people don't die. The day before the accident, Siyana called me and told me that she loves me. Now I can't see her because they told me that I won't be able to bear it - my child is in such a state and in such a form," Popov did not hide.
A little later, the prosecutor's office in Pleven explained that the driver of the truck would be detained for 72 hours. He has already been brought to criminal responsibility for an accident causing the death of a child and endangering the life of another. The tests for alcohol and drugs were negative. A request for his permanent detention is pending.