The Chinese armed forces have announced that they have ended all planned military drills around Taiwan, Reuters reports, citing a social media post by the Chinese Armed Forces' Eastern Command, BTA reports.
The statement states that the exercises tested “joint integrated operations skills“ of servicemen.
“The command's troops remain in a state of constant heightened combat readiness, which they will continue to strengthen with intensive training, resolutely thwarting any separatist activities aimed at “Taiwan independence“, the Chinese military added.
A spokesman for the Eastern Command of the Chinese Armed Forces announced that all objectives set during the joint exercises on April 1 and 2 were successfully achieved.
At the same time, Beijing has intensified its rhetoric against Taiwanese President Lai Chin-te, calling him a “parasite“. This happened against the backdrop of the tour of US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in Asia, during which he repeatedly criticized the Chinese authorities, Reuters points out.
China considers Taiwan, the democratically governed island, as part of its territory and has repeatedly condemned President Lai, calling him a “separatist“. Lai, who won the election last year, rejects Beijing's sovereignty and says that only the people of Taiwan have the right to decide their future.
Meanwhile, the German Foreign Ministry stressed that Taiwan's status should not be changed unless it is through a peaceful agreement.
“We have a direct interest in preserving the status quo in the Taiwan Strait... It should not be changed unless it is done peacefully and on the basis of mutual understanding,“ a spokesman for the German ministry said at a regular press conference.