Last news in Fakti

Gaza's new security zone! Hundreds of thousands flee as Israel takes over Rafah

Israel has imposed a complete blockade on goods entering Gaza since early March, creating a humanitarian crisis in the enclave, home to 2.3 million people

Apr 3, 2025 17:17 118

Gaza's new security zone! Hundreds of thousands flee as Israel takes over Rafah  - 1

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have fled Rafah after Israeli forces launched an offensive on the southern city, declared part of a new "security zone", reports "Reuters".

The Israeli army entered the city on Thursday, a day after announcing plans to seize large swathes of the enclave. The Gaza Health Ministry reported at least 97 deaths in the past 24 hours, including 20 people in an airstrike in Shejaya.

"Rafah has disappeared, it has been destroyed," said a father of seven who fled to Khan Younis. "They are demolishing everything that is left," he added.

The offensive is the biggest escalation since the resumption of hostilities in March, after a ceasefire in place since January collapsed.

Israel has not specified its long-term goals for the "security zone." Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said troops were seizing an area he called "Osta Morag" - a reference to an abandoned Israeli settlement.

Gaza residents fear the areas will remain uninhabitable indefinitely, leaving hundreds of thousands homeless. The area includes some of the last remaining farmland and critical water infrastructure.

Since early March, Israel has imposed a complete blockade on the import of goods into Gaza, creating a humanitarian crisis in the enclave, home to 2.3 million people.

Israel's official goal is to destroy Hamas, which has ruled Gaza since 2007. However, with no plan for an alternative government, Hamas police returned to the streets during the truce.

Israeli leaders say growing discontent in Gaza against Hamas is a sign of change. Hundreds protested in Beit Lahia, demanding the movement's withdrawal. Hamas called the demonstrators "collaborators" and accused Israel of orchestrating the protests.

The war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a cross-border attack on Israel that killed 1,200 people and took more than 250 hostages. Israel's campaign has so far killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza health authorities.

Movement between Rafah and Khan Younis has been severely disrupted following Israeli strikes. Residents say some are staying in the city because they have nowhere to go.

"We are afraid they will be killed or at least arrested," said Bassem, a Rafah resident.

Markets are empty and prices of basic goods have soared. The Palestinian Health Ministry has warned that Gaza's healthcare system is on the verge of collapse.